Estate Supervisor (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 07
Directorate/Project: Conservation Gardens and Tourism (Thohoyandou Botanical Garden)
South African National Biodiversity Institute, SANBI requires the services of an organized and dedicated person to manage the estate, facility and support service functions of the new Thohoyandou National Botanical Garden which includes buildings, workshop, machinery and fleet management at the Garden.
The successful candidate must be in possession of a National Diploma in Nature Conservation or Degree in Environmental Management with 2 years’ relevant post-qualification experience in conservation and environmental management and a good botanical knowledge. The incumbent must have experience in the supervision of staff and have good management, coordination and administrative skills. The incumbent will have to perform weekend, public holiday and standby duties. The incumbent must demonstrate the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations/communications with both internal and external stakeholders, and have an excellent spoken and written command of English. The candidate must be proficient in MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint) as well as have a valid Code B drivers’ license with (1) one year’s practical driving experience.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Develop and implement the Garden’s invasive alien plant and bush encroachment control plan;
- Implement and annually review the Environmental Management Plan for the estate;
- Develop and implement the veld fire management plan;
- Develop and maintain trails and the perimeter of the Garden;
- Ensure sufficient compost and mulch is produced for use in the Garden;
- Manage vehicles, horticultural machinery, equipment, tools and the Garden’s assets;
- Monitor the Garden’s building maintenance projects and associated budgets;
- Develop and implement the Garden’s approved infrastructure and maintenance projects and plans (benches, roof gutters, garden signs etc.);
- Manage staff;
- Ensure compliance of the Garden with OHASA.
SANBI offers an annual salary of R211 194.00 with fringe benefits.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr William Mahlangu on 012 843 5216 if further information required. Email completed application form, a motivational letter and concise CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 012 843 5222. Postal applications are to be addressed to: The Assistant Director - Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.