Principal Foreman – Mowers Team (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 5
Directorate: Conservation Gardens & Tourism Division
SANBI is seeking to appoint a a hard working and self motivated individual to supervise staff, to direct, lead and develop the Mowers Team on a permanent basis as a Principal Foreman.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute requires the service of a hard working and self motivated individual to supervise staff, to direct, lead and develop the Mowers Team in the execution of the responsibilities.
The successful candidate must have sound interpersonal relations, good staff supervisory skills, problem solving skills, good spoken and written command of English and one other official language will be advantageous. The position requires the candidate to have Grade 10 certificate with 10 years’ relevant experience working with a tractor and gang mower, of which 5 years is supervisory experience and 5 years’ experience in driving agricultural equipment. The applicant is also required to be in possession of a valid code B (unendorsed) driver’s license.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team and use a variety of equipment and tools used which require physical labour and working outdoors, sometimes under adverse conditions as well as working with materials that may be poisonous/toxic. In addition, the candidate must have the ability to plan daily, weekly and longer term activities for these sections.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Monitoring, recording and addressing – time keeping, productivity, work quality, discipline etc;
- Responsible for tools/equipment issued to incumbent and the team and correct, safe use thereof;
- Supervise and motivate team with the maintenance of the memorial benches, bridges and other wooden structures, cutting the grass, trimming and edging of lawns, lawn feeding and repair etc;
- Drive a tractor and gang mower and responsible for seeing machine is serviced etc;
- Assist with queries is approached by the public;
- Compliance with the Health and Safety policy.
SANBI offers an annual salary R142 461.00 with additional fringe benefits.
- An application form (obtainable from our Offices or Kirstenbosch NBG or SANBI website www.sanbi.org.za/jobs or apply online) must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Glynnis Webb on 021 799 8635/8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if further information is required.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.