Project Manager (3 year contract) (Contract position)
Salary Level: 11
Directorate/Project: (Natural Science Collections Facility Programme)
South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires a highly motivated individual to provide project management support to the NSCF Lead so that the Natural Science Collections Facility Strategic Objectives are achieved and compliance requirements are met.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences or a related field, followed by a Diploma/Certificate in Project Management enhanced by at least 8 years’ experience in a SET domain, of which 5 years’ should have been as a Project Manager as per the key responsibilities. Management level experience in government, exposure to the PFMA requirements and Professional Project Management certification (Prince2/PMP/CAPM or equivalent) would be an added advantage.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Facilitate the scoping and detailed planning for projects included in the Strategy and Business Plans, including risk management and response planning, and resource requirements.
- Prepare and ensure that all project initiation and contracting documentation is of required quality; contribute to contract negotiations with project participants, funders and suppliers.
- Monitoring and reporting on progress.
- Manage project execution for selected projects.
- Prepare annual budget, tracking of expenditure and ensure that this comply with PFMA Treasury requirements.
- Capacity development and mentorship in project management amongst Co-ordinating Hub staff and at participating institutions.
The incumbent must demonstrate good knowledge of financial process, monitoring progress, report writing and understanding of formal project management implementation methodologies. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and organisational skills; ability to work in a methodical manner; high level conceptualisation and analytical skills; excellent business management skills; problem-solving; ability to communicate at all levels both verbally and in writing. The incumbent must have an excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools (MS project or similar) as well as be in possession of a valid Code B (unendorsed) driver’s license with one year practical driving experience.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary package of R 612 822.00.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency assessment and skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Stephen Mahlangu on 012 843 5217 if further information required. Email completed application form, a motivational letter and concise CV to email@example.com or fax to 012 843 5222. Postal applications are to be addressed to: The Assistant Director - Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.